Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Ash Wednesday Experience

    Last week was Ash Wednesday, and the beginning of Lent season. in other words the first of forty days before Easter. I went to Ashe Wednesday mass for the first time, and was very enlightened by the things that Father Andrew said! Now, each year, as part of the celebratory customs the Palm Leaves are burned. the ashes are collected and saved for the follow year on Ash Wednesday.
  
    Ash Wednesday is a day where people come to Mass feeling repentant, and mourning for their sins. A time to recommit themselves to God, and come with something in mind that they want to sacrifice to go, or for God. It is an interesting concept as I related it to my own personal beliefs. The best way that I can describe it is that they are renewing their promise to God to be like him, just like we as members of the LDS church renew our baptismal covenants every week by partaking of the sacrament.
 
    It was a great meeting, and one that I learned a lot from. Part of Mass was where the congregation received ashes. You don't have to be catholic to receive ashes, you just have to have a desire to become better, and rededicate your life to God. So, when the time came, I went up and got my ashes on my forehead. like I mentioned before, they are used from the burnt palm leaves the following year. A little blessing is said when the ashes are placed on your head, and then you wear them all day as a sign of your repentance and your desire to become better and more like God.
   
    Here are some pictures of me with my ashes, and one of the little boys at the school, an awesome little man! Also, a Lent Calendar. On this calendar, are ideas for families to do during the season of lent. I took some of the ideas, and decided to make my own calendar. I have a picture of the one that I whited out, but hadn't filled in yet.





    This was definitely a learning experience, and one that I really enjoyed! I think that it will bring a whole new meaning to Easter this year as I take what I believe and know, and the good that I found in the Catholic beliefs and apply the good in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment