When I came home from the mission, it felt like forever that I was unemployed, and after this summer experience, I wouldn't trade waiting for this job for anything! My good ol' mission companion Natalie Shaw hooked me up with this job! My life changed forever when I started this job.... actually not when the job started, but when the kids came into the picture, it's only fair to say they are the ones that changed my life!
This summer was full of lots of adventures...some challenging, but ALL so very rewarding!
The kids that I was able to work with had a whole spectrum of disabilities, and had their own incredible personalities that made us counselors feel like we had the best job in the world! You know it is good when even outside of work, you talk about the good times!
For all of you that don't know what my job this summer consisted of, let me give you a brief summary. We aren't a treatment facility, but we are trained to work with this wonderful population of kids so that we can help them enjoy their summer through recreational activities, and building relationships with other kids!
In the picture above, are a few of the campers that I went golfing with on the last day! Kyle, Kirah, and Adam! Kyle is awesome... he had a crush on me and was always wanting to help me and hang out with me, and stuck up for me! Kirah was awesome... at times crazy, and busted out an attitude a lot... always so funny though! it makes me smile just thinking about her! Boy crazy and friendly to everyone! Adam was quiet and sneaky, but loved every minute of summer camp, and we loved having him!
This is Eli and Aaron! Both have Autism. As I have worked with people with different disabilities, these two have pretty much secured a special place in my heart for those with Autism! Quoting movies with Eli, and learning about when each was released was so fun. When I imitated Ms. Trunchbal from Matilda the little smirk/smile on his face was priceless! What can I say, I learn from the best! Eli and I had lots of fun together!
Aaron was funny! I am pretty partial to this great guy! Field trips with him were an adventure! Silver Lake was a pretty calm one where we just enjoyed the outdoors and had a nice walk. At Discovery Gateway he loved the Helicopter and the movie making station. Bowling he basically schooled a bunch of people! He loves playing with the Hula hoops and would much rather twist himself up in one of those than sit and eat his lunch! ;) lots of reminders to eat his grapes and pizza! Raging waters was one of my favorite times! We hung out all day. He climbed on the ropes at the dinosaur park, and jumped off a HUGE rope swing into a 9 foot pool.... I was even too scared to do it... he one-uped me there! sprawling out on the couch waiting for mom at the end of the day was pretty routine, and asking for tickles. I loved learning about the solar system and cars, but by far I loved his hugs. I am so glad he came this summer!
Aaron and I!
Along with my relationships with the kids, I am also very grateful for the new friends that I was able to make with the staff here this year... So many fun times together at work and away from work. We each shared a common bond of love and concern for these kids, and will all miss them during the school year!
Thanks for a fun summer everyone! Look forward to More fun times!
No comments:
Post a Comment